From both a SharePoint team site and a project site, users can collaborate on information but the difference is project site deals with and works on projects. In contrast, a team site works on sharing information from anywhere.
In this SharePoint Online tutorial, I will explain to you on SharePoint team site and a Project site. Then, I will explain the differences between a SharePoint Online team site and a SharePoint project site.
I have also covered some real examples of creating a SharePoint Online team and project sites.
SharePoint Online Team Site
A SharePoint team site is a place where we can share and collaborate on content, information sharing, and apps between us and team members.
The below image shows an example of a team site in SharePoint Online:
SharePoint Online Project Site
A SharePoint Project site is a site for tracking and managing projects, where it provides a space for teams to come together to work on and manage the same projects, and collaborate with each other on projects.
We can see an example of a SharePoint Online project site with tasks in below screenshot:
SharePoint Team Site vs SharePoint Project Site
Here, I will tell you the differences between a SharePoint Online team site and a communication site.
|SharePoint Online Team Site||Sharepoint online Project Site|
|SharePoint Team site is designed for collaboration and communication among team members and Share information.||SharePoint Project site is planned and designed for collaborating on managing projects.|
|On a SharePoint team site,users can store, and share documents with each other using various SharePoint document libraries.||A SharePoint Project site helps you to plan or capture the task that needs to be done, collaborate with teammates, and collect files and documents.|
|A SharePoint Project site helps you plan or capture the task needed, collaborate with teammates, and collect files and documents.||The purpose of a SharePoint project site is to display visual timelines for projects and project task schedules.|
|When we create a Team site, which has functions that are already pre-built. |
Conversations, documents, Notebook, recycle bin, Site contents, and pages.But except for Calendar and task
|When we create a SharePoint Project site, by default several web parts and functions are already pre-built. No need to add any functions.|
Example: Calendar and Task
|It has a project summary web part which we need to create a Team Task list.||By default, a SharePoint project site has Project Summary Web parts which are connected to the Task list.|
|It is used for a variety of purposes, such as sharing files, discussing ideas, and managing workflows.||Project sites need to have a general Plan/Structure for using them, which may include task lists, calendars, and other project-specific tools.|
|SharePoint team site is connected with other Microsoft tools, such as Microsoft Teams.||SharePoint Project site is connected with other Microsoft tools, such as Microsoft Project, to provide project management capabilities.|
|SharePoint team site cant track the project team task list with the timeline on a common calendar.||The timeline can be mentioned for the Project task and we can track project team tasks on a common calendar.|
SharePoint Team Site Examples
Here, I will mention some examples of SharePoint Online team sites that can be customized to fit the specific needs of different teams and industries.
- Human resources: SharePoint can be used for HR tasks such as recruiting, onboarding, and employee management. A SharePoint team site for HR could include job postings, candidate resumes, employee handbooks, and performance evaluations.
- Marketing and communications: SharePoint can be used for marketing campaigns, social media management, and communication planning. A SharePoint team site for marketing and communications could include campaign briefs, creative assets, content calendars, and analytics reports.
- Sales: SharePoint can be used to track sales leads, manage customer data, and collaborate on sales strategies. A SharePoint team site for sales could include sales reports, customer contact information, sales goals, and territory maps.
SharePoint Online Project Site Examples
Below are a few examples of the many different types of project sites that can be created with SharePoint Online.
- Product Development: This type of project site can be used to track and manage the development of new products. It can include features like task lists, project timelines, and document libraries for sharing design specifications.
- Marketing Campaign: A project site for a marketing campaign can include task lists, calendars, and document libraries for storing marketing materials. It can also include discussion forums for brainstorming and collaboration.
- Event Planning: SharePoint can be used to plan and manage events, such as conferences or trade shows. A project site for event planning can include task lists, calendars, document libraries for storing event materials, and discussion forums for coordinating with event vendors and suppliers.
I have explained the differences between a SharePoint Online team site and a project site through this SharePoint Online tutorial.
Understanding the differences between these two collaboration tools, you can choose the one that is best suited for your team’s needs, enabling your team to work together more effectively and achieve their goals more efficiently.
You may also like:
- Recycle Bin in SharePoint Online
- SharePoint Online site usage report
- Add Discussion Board to SharePoint Online
- Change SharePoint Online Site Name
- How to change from classic to modern site in SharePoint?
Preeti Sahu is an expert in Power Apps and has more than 6 years of experience working with SharePoint and the Power Platform. As a Power Platform expert for Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power Pages, she is currently employed with TSinfo Technologies. She is the author of the book Microsoft Power Platform A Deep Dive. She also made a big technical contribution to SharePointDotNet.com in the form of articles on the Power Platform. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her family in her spare time.