In this SharePoint Online tutorial, we will discuss what is the difference between a SharePoint Online Team Site and Microsoft Teams.
SharePoint Online Team Site
In this section, we will introduce what is SharePoint Online Team site.
- SharePoint Online Team site is a platform where teams can collaborate, document storage, and share content within an organization.
- On the SharePoint Online Team site, we can create subsites, lists, document libraries, folders, and files for projects.
- Users can hide information through the site permission levels in the lists and libraries(Full control, Edit, Contribute, Read, and View).
- We can customize the SharePoint Online Team site and highlight the information.
- Users can create their own web pages using various web parts like Images, lists, libraries, Hero web parts, Embed code, File viewer, etc.
- SharePoint Online Team site page has site navigation on the left side, News posts, a default document library, and Quick links on the right side as shown below figure.
The below screenshot represents a SharePoint Online Team site for your reference.
Also, Read: SharePoint Online List Item level permissions
What is Microsoft Teams
In this section, We will see about Microsoft Teams and the Components of Microsoft Teams.
- Microsoft Teams is a collaboration app that builds to communicate easily using real-time chat, online calling, web conferencing, and screen sharing from a single workspace.
- It helps the team members focus on the most important content by adding SharePoint tabs to Teams.
- It develops more opportunities to build team culture and community.
- When we create a Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Teams automatically creates the below components.
- A new Microsoft 365 group
- A SharePoint Online site and document library to store team files
- A shared mailbox and calendar
- A OneNote notebook
- Ties into other Microsoft 365 and Office 365 apps such as Planner and Power BI
This is Microsoft Teams and components of Microsoft Teams.
SharePoint Online Team Site Vs Microsoft Teams
In this section, we will see the difference between a SharePoint Online Team site and Microsoft Teams.
|SharePoint Online Team site||Microsoft Teams|
|1. SharePoint team site has a Survey that can be created easily and make decisions within the team.||1. Microsoft Teams has Team channels where you can organize discussions by specific topic.|
2. Allows the user to follow only the project they are working on.
|2. In surveys, we can design answer format as multiple choice or open end format.||2. Team channels allow the user to follow only the project they are working on.|
|3. It has Discussion boards, that are replaced by email. All the members can view content, post, and replay.||3. Microsoft Teams has Tabs, by default Conversation Tab, a File Tab, and Wiki Tab will be available.|
|4. It has SharePoint lists which store the data in lists like contacts, events, links, tasks, and announcements.||4. Microsoft Teams has bots where automated flows can be created which helps to answer questions, navigate the tools, can schedule meetings.|
|5. SharePoint team site has Document libraries, that can store the information in the form of documents, folders, and files.||5. Microsoft Teams allow outside members to access it but by default, it is turned off here.|
|6. It uses lists and libraries to share with the team and access by the team members.||6. Teams and Microsoft 365 groups can use connectors.|
|7. It allows adding owners, members, and visitors to the SharePoint Team site with Permission levels.||7. Microsoft Teams allow adding of members from scratch and Group or Team.|
|8. SharePoint team site and Microsoft Teams both allow adding document libraries, planners, and calendars which provides access to team members in search of any information.||8. Microsoft Teams and SharePoint team sites both allow adding document libraries, planners, and calendars which provides access to team members in search of any information.|
These are the main differences between a SharePoint Online Team Site and Microsoft Teams.
From this article, we have learned:
- What is SharePoint Online Team Site?
- What is Microsoft Teams?
- Difference between SharePoint Online Team site VS Microsoft Teams
Furthermore, you may like some more SharePoint Online tutorials:
- How to Customize SharePoint Online Team Site
- SharePoint Online list vs document library
- Create, Update, and Delete SharePoint Online List Items
- SharePoint Online List Permissions
Bijay Kumar Sahoo is a highly accomplished professional with over 15 years of experience in the field of SharePoint and related technologies. He has been recognized as a Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional) more than 9 times, starting from April 2014, for his exceptional contributions to the SharePoint community. Bijay is also a prolific author, having written two books on SharePoint – “Microsoft Power Platform – A Deep Dive” and “SharePoint Online Modern Experience Practical Guide“. His deep insights into SharePoint are also shared on his popular YouTube channel EnjoySharePoint where he teaches SharePoint to a global audience (From various countries like the United States of America, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc). Read more…