Recently, I was working with a SharePoint intranet portal, where we wanted to give ratings to documents in a document library. Microsoft provides a useful feature known as rating in both SharePoint lists and libraries that we can use to provide ratings to documents or items.
In this tutorial, I will explain step by step how to enable rating settings in SharePoint Online and then how to provide ratings for documents. Keep reading to know:
- How to add a rating column in a SharePoint list or library
- Rating settings in SharePoint Online
- SharePoint Online rating settings missing – How to fix
- Remove all ratings from a SharePoint document library
Note: To show all the steps, I will use a SharePoint document library, but you can follow the same steps to add the rating column to the SharePoint list.
SharePoint Online Rating Column
Using the SharePoint Online rating feature, users can provide feedback and rate documents or list items by providing likes or star ratings.
Rating is to display the total number of likes and star ratings. Here you can see an example below:
SharePoint Online Rating settings missing [Solution]
I was facing an issue while working with a SharePoint rating feature. On the SharePoint library setting, the “Rating settings” was missing under General Settings, as shown below:
To fix the SharePoint Online rating settings missing issue, you need to activate the “SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure” under the SharePoint Site settings.
To activate it, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Go to specific SharePoint Library -> Click on Gear icon (from top right corner) -> Select Site information.
- On the Site information -> Click on View all site settings
- On the Site Settings page, under Site Collection Administration -> select Site collection features.
- On the Site Collection Features -> Activate the “SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure,” as shown below:
Once you activate the above feature, the “Rating settings” option will be visible for the SharePoint list or library.
By default, the rating column is not added to the SharePoint list or library; we need to add it.
Add Rating Column to SharePoint Library or List
We need to enable rating settings in the SharePoint Online list or library to add the rating column to a SharePoint list or document library.
Follow the below steps to add the rating column to a SharePoint list.
- Open the SharePoint library -> Click on the Gear icon (from the top right corner) -> Select Library settings.
- On the Settings pages, under General Settings-> Select Rating settings.
- On the Rating Settings section:
- Rating Settings: By clicking on “Yes” the Rating column will be activated in the SharePoint Library/List. Once enabled, the “Yes” button will automatically activate “Likes” or “Star Ratings.”
- Now, we can select voting/rating experience by choosing “Likes” or “Star Ratings.” I have selected “Star Ratings” based on my requirements.
- Click on OK button as shown in below:
Now, when you open the SharePoint library, you will see the Rating column appears like below:
Once we enable it, by default, the rating column will appear in the SharePoint Library/List.
Now, we have to give the ratings to the specific file/item and then just click on star ratings, or else, directly go to the Rating column to give ratings.
The SharePoint library rating column will display the site visitors to rate from 1 to 5 stars. SharePoint will average the ratings of multiple visitor responses and display the overall ratings. You can see the overall rating as shown below.
Similarly, choose the “Likes” voting under the Rating settings, then click on OK.
You can see the specific Likes rating will appear as shown below.
Now, the users can provide feedback and rate the content of documents.
Display the Number of Likes and Ratings in SharePoint Library/List
Once you enable the rating feature as “Star Ratings” in SharePoint. By default, the two columns will be created, so that columns will not be visible in a list or library.
- Number of Ratings
- Number of likes
To display the Number of Ratings and Number of Likes from the SharePoint Document Library, follow the below steps:
- On the SharePoint Document library, Expand All Documents (from top right corner) -> Click on Edit current view.
- On the Edit View section:
- Under the columns section, select the “Number of Ratings” and “Number of Likes” checkbox to display this column.
- Click on OK button.
Once we click on OK, by default, the “Number of Ratings” and “Number of Likes” will appear in the SharePoint Library/List.
This is how to display the Number of Ratings and Number of Likes from the SharePoint Document Library.
Rating column will display the site visitors will give ratings with 1 to 5 stars and Number of Likes, SharePoint automatically averages the Ratings and Likes of multiple visitor responses and displays the overall Number of Likes and Number of Ratings. You can see overall rating as shown in below.
Remove all ratings from a SharePoint document library
Here, you will learn how to remove the rating feature from a SharePoint Online Document Library.
- On the specific SharePoint Library/List -> Click on Settings -> Select Library/List settings.
- On the Settings pages, Under General Settings-> Select Rating settings.
- Under Rating Settings window:
- Rating Settings: By clicking “No” the Rating column will be deactivated in the SharePoint Library/List. Once enabled, the “No” button will automatically deactivate “Likes or Star Ratings.”
- Click on the OK button as shown below:
Once we disable it, by default, the rating column will be removed from the SharePoint Library/List, as shown below.
This is how to remove the rating column in the SharePoint Online Library/List.
Note: If you disable the Rating settings and then re-enable them, the Rating column will be displayed based on the previously given ratings, as shown below.
I hope now you can use those rating features to take feedback or start rating for list items or documents in SharePoint. Here, I have explained everything about the SharePoint online rating column.
- SharePoint Online list rating column
- Enable rating settings in SharePoint Online
- rating settings SharePoint Online
- Add rating column to SharePoint list
- SharePoint Online rating settings missing
- Display the number of likes and ratings
- Remove rating feature from SharePoint list or library
You may also like:
- Indexed Column in SharePoint Online List
- SharePoint Online List Version History
- SharePoint Online List View
- Co-authoring documents in SharePoint Online
Preeti Sahu is an expert in Power Apps and has more than 6 years of experience working with SharePoint and the Power Platform. As a Power Platform expert for Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power Pages, she is currently employed with TSinfo Technologies. She is the author of the book Microsoft Power Platform A Deep Dive. She also made a big technical contribution to SharePointDotNet.com in the form of articles on the Power Platform. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her family in her spare time.