In this SharePoint Online tutorial, I will show you, how to add an attachments column in a SharePoint list. Also, we will discuss how to enable or disable the attachments column in the SharePoint list view. I will also show you, how to enable or disable the attachment column in New Form or Edit Form. Like, if you will disable the attachment column, then users will not be able to upload attachments to it.
By default, the attachment column will appear in SharePoint list new item page but not in the list view page. If you want to show attachments in a SharePoint Online list view, then you should have to enable this column.
You can see here, I have a SharePoint list as “Customer Details” and inside this, I have enabled the attachments column and then it is appearing on the list view.
Enable Attachments Column in SharePoint List View
Let us discuss how to add or enable the attachments column in a SharePoint Online list view. To achieve it, follow the below steps are:
- Open the SharePoint list, click or expand the default or custom column and select Column settings. Then click on the Show/hide columns option like below:
- Next, click on the default Attachments column under the Edit view columns window. And click on the Apply button.
Similarly, here we will discuss how to add an attachments column in a SharePoint Online list from Edit current view. To do so, follow the below steps are:
- Open the SharePoint list, click or expand the All items drop-down and select Edit current view as shown below:
- Then click on the Attachments column under the Edit view page and click on the Ok button.
This is how to enable the attachments column in a SharePoint list view.
Suppose, you can disable the attachments column by following the above steps and just uncheck the Attachments column and click on Apply button.
This is how to disable the attachments column in a SharePoint list view.
Disable Attachments in SharePoint List
If you want to hide the attachment column from a SharePoint list, users will not be able to add any attachments to the SharePoint list item.
Follow the below steps:
- Open the SharePoint list, then click on the Settings or Gear icon, and then click on the List settings.
- Then on the Settings page, click on Advance Settings which is under General Settings.
- This will open the Advanced settings page, here choose Disabled under Attachments like below: And click on OK.
- After this when users will try to add an item to the SharePoint list, the attachments button will not appear like below:
This is how to remove attachments in a sharepoint online list.
Here, I have explained all about adding an attachments column in a SharePoint list. Step-by-step, We saw here, how to enable the attachments column in a SharePoint list view. Also, covered how to remove the attachments column in a SharePoint Online list.
You may also like:
- Delete a Column in SharePoint List or Document Library
- SharePoint Phone Number Validation
- Create a Folder in SharePoint Document Library
- Add Person or Group Column in SharePoint List
- Export SharePoint List to Excel
Preeti Sahu is an expert in Power Apps and has more than 6 years of experience working with SharePoint and the Power Platform. As a Power Platform expert for Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power Pages, she is currently employed with TSinfo Technologies. She is the author of the book Microsoft Power Platform A Deep Dive. She also made a big technical contribution to SharePointDotNet.com in the form of articles on the Power Platform. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her family in her spare time.