In this SharePoint Online tutorial, I will use JSON script to show you how to get an email address from a person or group field of a SharePoint list.
Unfortunately, we can not use the person or group field values in a SharePoint calculated column because a SharePoint Calculated column does not support a people picker column. So, we can not retrieve values from it.
For extracting email addresses from a people picker column of a SharePoint list, we have to use Power Automate flow, or else we should have to apply JSON formatting.
I have a SharePoint Online list regarding Employee Information; it has a person column as Employee Name.
Based on that column, I will show you how to apply JSON formatting to retrieve email addresses from that person column by creating another column.
Get an Email Address from a SharePoint Person Column [Using JSON]
In this section, I will explain how to get an email address from a person or group column in a SharePoint list using a JSON statement.
- Open a SharePoint list, where you need to retrieve email addresses from the person column.
- Now Click on +Add column -> Select Single line of Text -> Click on Next button.
- On Create a Column page, Give a Name for the column and Click on Save.
- Now, click on the column header of an Employee Email, Select Column settings, and Click on Format this column.
- In the Format column property pane, Click on the Advanced mode link.
- In Format columns, I have applied the below-given JSON code to retrieve an email address.
- EmployeeName is the internal name of a people picker column.
- Now, you can see that email addresses have been retrieved from the person column in a SharePoint list as shown below:
This is how to get an email address from a SharePoint list person column using JSON Condition.
Through this SharePoint tutorial, I have demonstrated how to extract an email address from a SharePoint person or group field column by applying JSON format.
You may also like:
- SharePoint Online Calculated Column AND Condition
- SharePoint calculated column: difference between two dates
Preeti Sahu is an expert in Power Apps and has more than 6 years of experience working with SharePoint and the Power Platform. As a Power Platform expert for Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power Pages, she is currently employed with TSinfo Technologies. She is the author of the book Microsoft Power Platform A Deep Dive. She also made a big technical contribution to SharePointDotNet.com in the form of articles on the Power Platform. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her family in her spare time.