In this SharePoint Online tutorial, I will show you how to get the current date in a SharePoint list calculated column. And how to get the current date in a SharePoint Online list calculated column using a Today() function.
Finally, I will show you how to get a current date in a calculated column of a SharePoint list using a NOW() function.
Get SharePoint Calculated Column Current Date using Today()
I will show you how to get a SharePoint calculated column current date by applying the Today() function to it.
I have a SharePoint Online list named ‘Employee Details’, where I need to show the current date column. Now, follow the below instructions to create a Current Date column:
- Open a SharePoint Online list, Click on Add column -> Select Date and time, and Click on Next.
- In Create a column pane, Select Today’s Date in the Default value section and Click on Save.
- Then, it will create a new column in SharePoint online list, as shown below:
- Next, create a calculated column in a SharePoint list.
- On Create a Column page, provide the column name and choose the type as Calculated (Calculation based on other columns).
- In the formula box, I have applied the below-given formula, which includes the Today column taken as a reference in a Calculated column:
- The data type returned from this formula is: Choose the data type, Date and time.
- Then, click on the OK button.
- Then, the current date column will appear in a SharePoint Online list.
Note:The calculated column value won’t be automatically updated,instead,it will display the current date only if the item is edited; otherwise, it will display the date on which it was last updated.
- Now, edit items in your SharePoint list, then the current date column will update automatically as shown below:
Note:Before editing SharePoint list items, delete Today column that is created previously;otherwise current date column will not update.
This is how to get the current date in SharePoint online list calculated column.
SharePoint calculated column today
Here, I have a SharePoint Online list that is about subscription details where I want to know what is the status of the membership. To achieve it, I will create a SharePoint calculated column using the IF and Today functions.
So, if the subscription renewal date is equal to Today’s date, then it will show plan is about to expire. When the subscription renewal date is greater than Today’s date, it will display plan is active and when the subscription renewal date is less than the Today’s date, it will display plan expired.
Let’s see how SharePoint Online calculated column today works along with the IF function. To achieve it follow the steps below.
- Open a SharePoint Online list and click on the +Add column then click on See all column types and Next. Then inside the Create column tab, enter the column name and select The type of information in this column is (Calculated (calculation based on other columns))
- Then insert the formula in the formula box by choosing the column from the Insert column under Additional Columns Settings and select The data type returned from this formula is then click on OK as shown below.
The formula used in this SharePoint calculated column is listed below.
=IF([Subscription Renewal Date]>TODAY(),"Active",IF([Subscription Renewal Date]<TODAY(),"Expired",IF([Subscription Renewal Date]=TODAY(),"About to Expire")))
- Now, the SharePoint calculated column is created and displays the output as shown below.
This is how SharePoint calculated column today implemented along with the IF condition.
Get SharePoint Calculated Column Current Date using NOW()
Now, I will tell you how to get the current date in a SharePoint list calculated column using the NOW() function.
- Open a SharePoint list and create a calculated column.
- On Create column page, Give a name to a calculated column in the Column name box.
- Select data type as Calculated(Calculation based on other columns).
- In the formula box, I have applied the below-given formula and choose the data type returned as Date and Time.
- Then, click on Ok.
- Then, a calculated column will appear in a SharePoint list displaying the current date as shown below:
This is how to use a NOW() function in a SharePoint Online list calculated column to get the current date.
Through this SharePoint tutorial, I have explained how to calculate a current date in a SharePoint Online list calculated column using the Today() function. And also, I have mentioned a SharePoint list calculated column current date using the NOW() function.
You may also like:
- SharePoint Calculated Column Remove Comma from Number
- SharePoint calculated column blank date
- SharePoint calculated column get month from date
- SharePoint Online Calculated Column AND Condition
- SharePoint Calculated Column Get First Letter
Preeti Sahu is an expert in Power Apps and has more than 6 years of experience working with SharePoint and the Power Platform. As a Power Platform expert for Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power Pages, she is currently employed with TSinfo Technologies. She is the author of the book Microsoft Power Platform A Deep Dive. She also made a big technical contribution to SharePointDotNet.com in the form of articles on the Power Platform. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her family in her spare time.