I will explain in detail how to set up and manage SharePoint access requests. Also, I will show to you how to enable access request settings in SharePoint Online. Finally, I will show you, how to approve/decline the SharePoint Online access requests.
SharePoint Access Requests
The SharePoint access requests enable users to request access to items they do not currently have permission to view. The Access Request feature helps maintain security and control over SharePoint sites by allowing site owners to manage and regulate user access.
Through access requests, site owners ensure emails are sent to them whenever someone wants access to the website. Then, they can decide whether to accept or reject their invitation. If the SharePoint site owner accepts, then they can access the items else they will not be able to access those items.
SharePoint Online Access Request Settings
There are two ways we can enable SharePoint Online access request settings.
- Using Advanced permissions settings
- Using Site Sharing
Enable from the Advanced Permissions Settings page
- Open a SharePoint Online site -> Click on the Settings icon -> Select Site permissions.
- In this Permissions window, select Advanced permissions settings as shown below.
- Select Access Request Settings from the navigation.
- In this Access Requests Settings window, choose who can request access or invite others to this site.
- Check-in Allow access requests -> Under Select who will receive all access requests on this site, we will get two options listed below.
- Admins = If we select this, only the site admin will be able to receive all the site access requests.
- e-mail address = Insert the e-mail address of the user whom you want to get the access requests of the site.
- We can also include a custom message to users who see the access request page -> Click on the OK button.
This is how to enable the SharePoint Online access request settings using Advanced permissions settings.
Enable SharePoint Online Access Request Settings Using Site Sharing
- For Example, Open a SharePoint Online Document Library (Installation + Tutorial) -> Click on the Settings icon -> Select Site permissions.
- Click on Change how members can share under Site Sharing in this Permission window.
- In the Site sharing settings window, move the toggle toward the On to Allow access requests.
- Now, choose who will receive access requests for this site:
- Owner = If we select this, only the site owner will be able to receive all the site access requests.
- Specific email = Here, we can insert the specific user’s email to get access to this SharePoint Site.
- We can also add a custom message to the access request page as per the needs -> Click on the Save button.
This is to can enable the SharePoint access request settings using Site Sharing.
Approve/Decline SharePoint Online Access Requests
This section will see how to approve or decline the SharePoint access request.
For Example, I have shared the SharePoint Online Site link with a user who is not a member of the SharePoint Online site.
Follow the below steps to approve or decline the access request on SharePoint Site.
- Below is the screenshot of the SharePoint Online Site link that I have shared with a user who is not a member of the SharePoint Online Site.
- You can see, it displays You need permission to access this site -> User clicks on Request Access as shown below.
- Once the user Requests access, go to the SharePoint Online Site page -> Click on Site Contents.
Note: The Access requests button only appears if there are pending access requests.
- In this window, click on the Access Requests button.
- Now, in the Access request window, three options are there.
- Pending Requests = In this, we can see all the persons requesting access to the SharePoint Online Site.
- External User Invitations = Here, we can see external user invitations.
- History = In this, we see the requests that are approved or declined by the SharePoint Online Site Owner.
- In this window click on Approve under the PENDING REQUESTS.
- Refresh the SharePoint Online Site, you can see the approved request will appear under the HISTORY section.
- To decline the access request, we must follow the steps above and click on Decline.
This is how to approve or decline access requests on SharePoint Online Site.
I hope you got an idea about SharePoint access requests. Especially, I have explained, how to setup and manage access requests in SharePoint Online.
You may also like:
- Add Members to a SharePoint Online Site
- Create a Lookup Column in SharePoint Online List
- How to share a SharePoint Online document library Files with external users?
- Recycle Bin in SharePoint Online
Preeti Sahu is an expert in Power Apps and has more than 6 years of experience working with SharePoint and the Power Platform. As a Power Platform expert for Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power Pages, she is currently employed with TSinfo Technologies. She is the author of the book Microsoft Power Platform A Deep Dive. She also made a big technical contribution to SharePointDotNet.com in the form of articles on the Power Platform. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her family in her spare time.