In this SharePoint tutorial, I will show you, how to set a custom template for a SharePoint document library. Also, we will see, how to change SharePoint Online document library template order.
Suppose, I have an Excel template file like the one below:
We want whenever a user creates an Excel file, they should use this template so that all the above fields will come by default. So, we will add this custom Excel file as a template to the SharePoint Online document library.
Set a Custom Template for a SharePoint Document Library
By default, there are various templates are available in a document library:
- Word document
- Excel workbook
- Powerpoint presentation
- Forms for Excel
- Visio drawing,
- Link, etc
We can use the Word document template to create Word files or we can use the Excel workbook to create Excel files in the SharePoint document library. All the templates are available under the +New button in the command bar like below:
Follow the below steps to add a custom template to the sharepoint document library:
- First, we will have to create a template file. According to our business requirement, we have created an Excel file; you can create various other template files like Word or PPT, etc., according to your business scenarios.
- In this case, first, I created an empty Excel file and added the details:
- Company Name
- Email ID
- Phone Number, etc.
- And then saved as “Company Sales Template.xlsx” like below:
- Open the SharePoint document library where you want to set this custom template. Then click or expand the +New button from the command bar. And then click on +Add template like below:
- Then it will ask you to select the template file from the local system. Here I choose the Excel file we created in the above step.
- Once the template is successfully uploaded, the custom template (Company Sales Template) will be visible under the same +New button.
- Now, every time, a user will or click this custom template to create an Excel file, it will open the custom template.
This is how to add templates to a SharePoint online document library.
Change SharePoint document library template order
By default, when we set a custom template in a library, the template will appear at the last position. We can change the order of SharePoint document library templates.
- Open the SharePoint document library, click on +New -> Edit New menu
- This will open the Edit New menu option, from where we can show, hide, or we can change the order of each menu item.
- If you want to hide any template, simply uncheck the menu and click on Save.
- In the same, to change the order, click on the more options and then use the Move Up or Move Down.
- To delete a custom template, click on the Delete option from the More options.
This is how to change the order for a custom template in the SharePoint Online document library.
Here, I have explained about custom templates in a SharePoint document library. Step by step, we saw here how to set a custom template for a SharePoint Online document library. Also, I have explained how to change the order of the custom template in the library.
You may also like:
- Title Column in SharePoint Online List
- Set Item-Level Permissions in SharePoint Online Document Library
- Add a SharePoint Document Library in Microsoft Teams
Preeti Sahu is an expert in Power Apps and has more than 6 years of experience working with SharePoint and the Power Platform. As a Power Platform expert for Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power Pages, she is currently employed with TSinfo Technologies. She is the author of the book Microsoft Power Platform A Deep Dive. She also made a big technical contribution to SharePointDotNet.com in the form of articles on the Power Platform. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her family in her spare time.