This Power BI tutorial helps you work with the Power BI Pie Chart On Map.
In this short tutorial, I’ll show you how to create a Power BI pie chart on a map.
If you encounter the error “Map and filled map visuals aren’t enabled for your org. Contact your tenant admin to fix this.”, I will also guide you on how to solve it.
Power BI Pie Chart On Map
A Power BI Pie Chart On Map is a visual representation that combines a map with pie charts. It displays data as pie charts overlaid on specific locations, providing insight into the distribution of values across geographical areas.
Refer to the image below for how it looks:
Create Power BI Pie Chart On Map
Now, we will see how to create a Power BI pie chart on a map.
Let’s say you own a chain of restaurants in different cities across the country. You want to visualize the distribution of sales by food category (such as Appetizers, Main Courses, and Desserts) in each city to identify which types of food are most popular in different regions.
In this scenario, using Power BI, we can create a Pie Chart on a map, where each slice of the pie represents a food category, and the size of the slice corresponds to the proportion of sales for that category in each city.
According to this scenario, we have a SharePoint list named City Food Sales Summary that contains the following columns with various data types:
|Single line of text
Follow the below steps to create a Power BI pie chart on the map:
1. Open Power BI Desktop and load data using the Get data option. Then, we can see the data set in the Data Panel.
2. Under the Home tab, expand Visual gallery (black box) -> Click the Map visual.
3. If you face an Error: “Map and filled map visuals aren’t enabled for your org. Contact your tenant admin to fix this.” follow the steps below. If you do not face any errors, move directly to step 7.
4. To solve this error, go to File -> click Options and Settings -> Click Options. Check the screenshot below.
5. Now, you see the Options dialog box. Then click the Security option and check the Map and Filled Map visuals checkbox. Click on OK.
6. After that, go to the Power BI Admin portal. You have enabled the “Map and filled map visuals.” Click on Apply; after 15 minutes, you can use it.
In this way, you can fix the map error in Power BI Desktop.
I hope you are not facing any errors or have solved the error now.
7. After that you can see one blank map visual added in the report view.
8. Then, use the +Add data option to add City into Location, Food Category into Legend, and Sales into Bubble size.
9. You can now see the Power BI pie chart in the map visual.
This visualization helps you quickly understand the preferences of customers in different areas.
So this way, you can create a Power BI pie chart on the map visual.
Additionally, you may like some more Power BI tutorials:
- Create a Report from Excel in Power BI
- Create a Table in Power BI
- How to Append Two Tables in Power BI
Preeti Sahu is an expert in Power Apps and has more than 6 years of experience working with SharePoint and the Power Platform. As a Power Platform expert for Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power Pages, she is currently employed with TSinfo Technologies. She is the author of the book Microsoft Power Platform A Deep Dive. She also made a big technical contribution to SharePointDotNet.com in the form of articles on the Power Platform. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her family in her spare time.