This SharePoint Online tutorial explains How to Copy a SharePoint List. And also, We will discuss below topics such as:
- How to copy a SharePoint Online list from one site to another site
- How to copy SharePoint Online list to Excel
Also, Read: SharePoint Online List Title Column [Detailed Guide]
Copy a SharePoint Online List
While working with the SharePoint Online site, sometimes we need a duplicate SharePoint custom list for testing purposes, or you need to create multiple lists with similar fields. In this case, we can copy a SharePoint existing list to a new custom list in SharePoint Online Site.
What is a Duplicate SharePoint Online list?
- The Duplicate SharePoint Online list will be created with all of the same fields or columns (with the same data type) as the SharePoint original list. But, the data will not copy from the original SharePoint list to the new custom list.
- Creating a duplicate SharePoint list is a quick and easy process.
- We can copy a SharePoint list from any SharePoint site with Permission access.
- The duplicated SharePoint list does not copy any content from the SharePoint original list except the columns.
- The Duplicated SharePoint Online list does not copy any list settings from the original SharePoint list.
Note:In the SharePoint Classic site, there was an option named Save as template available to copy a SharePoint list. But In the SharePoint Modern site , this option is deprecated and not available in Microsoft 365.
This is all about the duplicate SharePoint Online list.
Check out: How to Delete a Column in SharePoint Online List
How to Copy a SharePoint List
In this section, we will discuss how to copy a list in the SharePoint Online site. Follow the below instructions to copy a list:
- Open the SharePoint Online site Home page (in my case, it is Dutch Crafters) -> Click on the +New drop-down -> Select the List option to create a list.
- In the Create a List page, Select From existing list as shown below.
- In the Select an existing list window, Select a Team or Site (Dutch Crafters (this site)) -> Choose a list (Customer Details) from this site (Dutch Crafters).
- Click on Next as shown below:
- Provide the new list Name and Description (Optional) -> Click on the Create button like below:
- Once the Duplicate list is created, it will display all the same columns with the same data types. Also, this list will appear with blank records. It will not include any data or records from the original list as shown below:
This is how to copy an existing SharePoint Online List.
Copy a SharePoint Online list from one site to another site
Suppose, we want to copy a SharePoint Online list from one SharePoint site to another site. In this case, we have to follow the above-mentioned steps from the above topic (How to Copy a List in the SharePoint Online Site).
Have a look: SharePoint Online List Vs Excel
Copy SharePoint Online list to Excel
Similarly, in this section, we will discuss Copy SharePoint Online list to Excel. Follow the below instructions to copy a list:
- Open the SharePoint Online site Home page -> Click on the Settings or Gear icon (right top of the page) -> Select Site contents under the SharePoint section as shown below:
- In the Site contents window, select the name of the list (Customer Details) like below:
- Open the SharePoint Online list (Customer Details) -> Select Export to Excel under the Export option like below:
- Now the SharePoint list will download as a query. iqy format in your local system. Click on Enable as shown below.
- Your Excel spreadsheet will open up with exported SharePoint Online list as shown below:
This is how to copy a SharePoint Online list to Excel.
Furthermore, you may like some more SharePoint tutorials:
- How to Add Conditional Formatting to the SharePoint Online List?
- SharePoint Online List Templates [With Real Examples]
- Indexed Column in SharePoint Online List
- SharePoint Online List Column Sorting [With Various Data Types]
- SharePoint Online List Number Without Comma
- SharePoint Online list vs document library
From this SharePoint Online tutorial, have learned how to copy a list in the SharePoint Online site. And also covered below topics such as:
- Copy a SharePoint Online list from one site to another site
- Copy SharePoint Online list to Excel
Bijay Kumar Sahoo is a highly accomplished professional with over 15 years of experience in the field of SharePoint and related technologies. He has been recognized as a Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional) more than 9 times, starting from April 2014, for his exceptional contributions to the SharePoint community. Bijay is also a prolific author, having written two books on SharePoint – “Microsoft Power Platform – A Deep Dive” and “SharePoint Online Modern Experience Practical Guide“. His deep insights into SharePoint are also shared on his popular YouTube channel EnjoySharePoint where he teaches SharePoint to a global audience (From various countries like the United States of America, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc). Read more…