Do you know how to append two tables in Power BI? In this tutorial, I will explain an append table in Power BI and how to append tables in Power BI.
Also, I will show how to merge tables using Power BI Dax.
Power BI Append Table
Appending tables in Power BI is like stacking one table on top of another to create a larger table.
For example, if you have a table with January sales data and another with February sales data, append them results in a single table with data for both months, making it easier to analyze.
How to Append Two Tables in Power BI
NOTE:Before we append tables in Power BI, first we need to create two tables in Power BI. If you are new to Power BI, check out a detailed post on how to create a table in Power BI.
I have created two Power BI tables: January Sales Data and February Sales Data.
January Sales Data:
February Sales Data:
After appending two Power BI tables (January Sales Data and February Sales Data), our required output will be as shown below:
Now I will show you step-by-step append two tables in Power BI:
1. Click the Transform data under the Home tab.
2. Click Append Queries as New under the Append Queries drop-down in Power Query Editor.
3. In the Append dialog box, choose the Table names and click the “OK” button.
4. After clicking the OK button, you’ll see that the two tables have been appended into a new table. Click the “Close and Apply” option to save the changes.
This is the process of appending two tables into one table in Power BI.
Merge two Tables in Power BI using Dax
I hope you load two tables (January and February sales data) in Power BI Desktop.
Here, we are using the UNION DAX formula to merge two tables.
Merged Table = UNION(Table1,Table2,....TableN)
- Merged Table = New Table Name
- UNION = Function Name
- Table1,Table2,…,TableN = Existing Table Names
Now, I will show you step-by-step how to merge two tables using DAX
1. Click the Table view and “New table” under the Home tab.
2. Then apply the below-mentioned formula:
Merged Table = UNION('february_sales_data','february_sales_data')
Here, “february_sales_data” and “february_sales_data” are the names of the tables.
3. Now, you see the merged table created in the Data Panel. Check the screenshot below.
In this way, you can merge tables using Power BI Dax.
I hope you follow the above steps to append tables in Power BI. In this tutorial, we learned how to merge two tables in Power BI and how to append tables in Power BI using DAX.
Also. you may like some more Power BI tutorials:
- Create a Power BI Pie Chart
- Sort Bar Chart in Power BI
- Power BI Slicer
- How to Create a Report from Excel in Power BI
- Create a Report from SharePoint List in Power BI
Preeti Sahu is an expert in Power Apps and has more than 6 years of experience working with SharePoint and the Power Platform. As a Power Platform expert for Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power Pages, she is currently employed with TSinfo Technologies. She is the author of the book Microsoft Power Platform A Deep Dive. She also made a big technical contribution to SharePointDotNet.com in the form of articles on the Power Platform. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her family in her spare time.