A SharePoint site owner will have full control on the SharePoint site. I will explain here how to get site owners of a SharePoint site and the roles and responsibilities of a SharePoint site owner.
Lastly, I will show you how to add a site owner to a SharePoint Online site.
Roles and Responsibilities of a SharePoint Site Owner
A SharePoint site owner is a user who will have full control over the particular SharePoint site. The SharePoint site owner is responsible for managing the entire site.
A site owner can permit the site members permission like Full control, Edit, Contribute, Read, and view.
Here are the roles and responsibilities of a SharePoint site owner:
- Site owners can add other site owners to a SharePoint Online site.
- The site owners can create and delete content such as documents and pages.
- Can create and manage SharePoint sites such as Lists and Libraries.
- The site owner can manage site settings and navigation bars.
- Can add external users, members, and other owners to the site.
- Can customize the SharePoint site by changing the themes, editing links, changing the logo, background, layouts, etc.
- The site owner can create, delete, edit, and publish the web pages by using various web parts, etc.
Find the Site Owner of a SharePoint Site
Let us check how to find the owner of a SharePoint site. There are 2 ways to find a site owner of a modern SharePoint site:
- Through Site Permissions
- Through Microsoft 365 admin center
Find SharePoint Site Owner through Site Permissions
1. Open the SharePoint Online site, then Click on the Settings or gear icon -> Site permissions like below:
2. Then, it will show the Permissions section. Here, you can see the below options
- Site owners – full control
- Site members – limited control
- Site visitors – no control
Here if it is group group-connected site, you can see the site name – full control as the group name.
3. Here, click on the Owners group name. This will open the group details dialog box. Click on the Members tab.
This is how to find the owners of a SharePoint site from the SharePoint site itself.
Find the SharePoint Site Owner from the SharePoint Admin center
From the Microsoft 365 admin center, we can also get the owners of a SharePoint Online site.
- Open the SharePoint Online admin center. Example: https://szg52-admin.sharepoint.com/. There, from the left navigation, click on Active Sites. Then, select the particular site for which you want to get the owner’s name. Then click on the Membership option from the command bar.
- Then, in the dialog box, click on Membership, then Owners, and you can see the SharePoint site owners.
This is how to get a SharePoint site owner’s names.
How to add an owner to a SharePoint Online site
In the same way, also we can add an owner to a SharePoint Online site.
Add SharePoint Online site owner from the SharePoint Site
The easiest way to add an owner to a SharePoint site is to add from the SharePoint site itself.
1. Open the SharePoint Online site and click on the gear icon -> Site permissions. Then click on Add members -> Add members to group like below:
Then you can select a user like the one below:
By default, the user will be added as a member of the SharePoint site. There, select and choose the Owner options like below:
Once you click on the Save button, the user will be added as an owner of the SharePoint site.
This is how to add a site owner to a SharePoint site using Site Permissions.
Add Site Owner in SharePoint Online using Microsoft 365 Admin Center
- Log into the Microsoft admin center.
- It will open your Microsoft 365 admin center. Expand the Teams and Groups section (From the left navigation) -> Click Active Teams and Groups
- Select the Site Name where you need to add an owner to a site -> click on the Membership tab -> Owners -> Click on Add Owners.
- Search by name or email address in the search and click Add.
- Then, it will Add owners to the SharePoint site, as shown in the figure below:
This is how to add a Site Owner in SharePoint Online using the Microsoft 365 Admin Center
Here I have covered by explaining SharePoint Site owners who have full control over the particular SharePoint site and are responsible for managing it.
Also, I have shown how to find the Owner and add the owner to a SharePoint site using Site Permissions and Microsoft 365 Admin Center.
You may like the following SharePoint tutorials:
- How to delete a SharePoint Team site
- SharePoint Team site vs Communication site
- How to Change SharePoint Online Team Site to Microsoft Teams?
- SharePoint Online Site Permissions
Preeti Sahu is an expert in Power Apps and has more than 6 years of experience working with SharePoint and the Power Platform. As a Power Platform expert for Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power Pages, she is currently employed with TSinfo Technologies. She is the author of the book Microsoft Power Platform A Deep Dive. She also made a big technical contribution to SharePointDotNet.com in the form of articles on the Power Platform. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her family in her spare time.