I will show you how to export SharePoint list to Excel in this SharePoint tutorial. I will also explain how to export selected items of a SharePoint Online list to an Excel spreadsheet.
Also, I will explain how to export a SharePoint Online list to a CSV file.
I have a SharePoint Online list with different types of columns that need to be exported to an Excel Spreadsheet, as shown below:
Export SharePoint Online List to Excel Spreadsheet
- Open a SharePoint Online list, expand Export, and Select Export to Excel.
NOTE:The Export option will only available when items in the SharePoint list are not selected.
- The exported SharePoint list will get downloaded to your local system with the default file name of a query.iqy.
- Click on an Open file link as shown below:
- Then, it will display a Microsoft Excel Security Notice dialogue box-> Click on Enable.
- Next, it will display an Import Data dialogue box; click OK.
- The selected SharePoint Online list (Mercy Health Donors) will appear in the Excel sheet as shown below figure:
- After exporting to an Excel sheet, format the Excel list as a table. Click on Format as Table.
- Click Refresh in the Table Design tab.
- It will trickle changes from the SharePoint list down to Excel automatically.
This is how to export a list from SharePoint Online to Excel Spreadsheet.
Export Selected Items of a SharePoint Online List to an Excel
Next, I will explain how to export selected Items of a SharePoint Online list to an Excel Spreadsheet.
The Export option is unavailable for the selected list items of SharePoint; we can export by creating a new list view.
Here, I have a SharePoint Online list named ‘Employee Details’ displaying All Items view as shown below:
- Open a SharePoint Online custom list, and click on the Filter icon.
- Filter a SharePoint list based on the value of a list column; then it filters out all the items based on a given value.
- Then, Save the list view; click on Switch view options -> Choose ‘Save view as’ (Designation- IT Analyst).
- The filtered view of the SharePoint Online custom list appears as shown in the below figure:
- Next, export the filtered view with selected SharePoint list items to an Excel Spreadsheet.(Click Export -> Select Export to Excel).
This is how to export selected items of a SharePoint Online list to an Excel spreadsheet.
Export SharePoint Online List to CSV File
Likewise, I will tell you how to export a SharePoint Online list to a CSV file (Comma Separated Value).
NOTE:The maximum number of rows you can export to a CSV file is 30,000.
CSV file can be opened in Notepad or Excel.
- Open a SharePoint Online list -> Click Export on the command bar -> Select Export to CSV (Comma Separated Value).
- Then, CSV file will get downloaded to your local system with the default file name of Excel, Click Open file.
- Then SharePoint list opens in an Excel spreadsheet, and click on File.
- Select Save AS to save the file in .csv format on your computer.
This is how to export a SharePoint Online custom list to a CSV file (Comma Separated Value).
Through this SharePoint Online tutorial, I will explain how to export a list from SharePoint Online to an Excel spreadsheet. And also, I have covered exporting selected items of a SharePoint custom list to an Excel spreadsheet. Also, I have mentioned how to export a SharePoint Online list to a CSV file.
You may like the following tutorials:
- Import Excel into SharePoint online list
- Calculate SharePoint List Column Average
- Create a Calendar View in SharePoint List
- Delete a Column in SharePoint List or Document Library
Preeti Sahu is an expert in Power Apps and has more than 6 years of experience working with SharePoint and the Power Platform. As a Power Platform expert for Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power Pages, she is currently employed with TSinfo Technologies. She is the author of the book Microsoft Power Platform A Deep Dive. She also made a big technical contribution to SharePointDotNet.com in the form of articles on the Power Platform. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her family in her spare time.