In this Power Apps tutorial, I will discuss an error as Expected Record Value that comes while working with a Power Apps Combobox control.
Also, I will show you how to overcome this error. Refer to the below for how the error looks like:
Power Apps Error: Expected Record Value
In this section, I will explain an error about the “Expected Record Value” of a combo box control.
I have a SharePoint list [Product Issue Tracker], which has different columns like:
|Fields Name||Data type|
|Issue Type||Choice [“Washing Machine”, “Television”, “Oven”, “Refrigerator”]|
|Issue Assigned To||Person/group|
|Is Still Issue is Active||Yes/no|
|Issue Start Date||Date and time|
|Issue Resolved Date||Date and time|
- In Power Apps, there is an Edit form and a Gallery control, which are both connected to the above SharePoint list.
- Whenever the user clicks on a particular item in the gallery control, that item will be displayed in the edit form.
- The edit form contains an Issue Assigned To field [SharePoint list person type column].
- In the combo box control, I tried to display the user name based on the item selected by a gallery control. I have set the combo box Default property as
Default = varIssue.'Issue Assigned To'.DisplayName
- varIssue = Variable name
- Issue Assigned To = SharePoint list person or group type column name
- But now, I faced an error as “Expected Record Value” [It clearly says that it is an unexpected value; to overcome this, provide the expected value] as shown below:
Solution: Expected Record Value
To overcome the error of “Expected Record Value“, follow the below code to get a solution:
- On the Power Apps edit form, Select the Combo box control -> Set its DefaultSelectedItems to:
DefaultSelectedItems = Gallery1.Selected.'Issue Assigned To'
- Gallery1: Gallery control name
- Issue Assigned To: SharePoint list Person/group type column name
- Save, Publish, and Preview the app. When the user selects an item from the gallery control, the combo box control will display the user name based on the item selected.
This is the solution for an error about the “Power Apps Expected Record Value” in the Combo Box.
This Power Apps tutorial taught in detail information about the error of “Power Apps Expected Record Value“.
Also, I have provided the solution with the code to overcome when a user faces this error.
Additionally, you may like some more Power Apps tutorials:
- Power Apps Dropdown Values Not Showing [How to Overcome]
- Display SharePoint Person Column in Power Apps Dropdown
- Display Column Names in Power Apps Dropdown
- Bind SharePoint Lookup Column in Power Apps Dropdown
Bijay Kumar Sahoo is a highly accomplished professional with over 15 years of experience in the field of SharePoint and related technologies. He has been recognized as a Microsoft MVP (Most Valuable Professional) more than 9 times, starting from April 2014, for his exceptional contributions to the SharePoint community. Bijay is also a prolific author, having written two books on SharePoint – “Microsoft Power Platform – A Deep Dive” and “SharePoint Online Modern Experience Practical Guide“. His deep insights into SharePoint are also shared on his popular YouTube channel EnjoySharePoint where he teaches SharePoint to a global audience (From various countries like the United States of America, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, etc). Read more…