SharePoint Online events web part allows you to display the upcoming events on your page. Here, In this SharePoint Online tutorial, I will show you how to use an events web part in SharePoint Online. Then, We will discuss how to add an event from a SharePoint events web part.
Also, we will learn the SharePoint Online events web part customization. In the last, I will show you, how to use audience targeting in a SharePoint events web part.
SharePoint Online Events Web Part
- SharePoint Online events web part informs us of all upcoming events within an organization like events based on business, get-togethers, work meetings, birthdays, etc…
- When users used the SharePoint events web part, they will have a brief idea about the event when, and where the event takes place.
- You can also use audience targeting in a SharePoint events web part to share relevant information with the target audience.
Suppose I have created a SharePoint site page, and inside this, I have added some events. Such as:
- International Conference on Compound Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology
- ECTC Conference
- Product Review Meeting
How to Use Events Web Part in SharePoint Online
Here, we will see how to use the events web part in SharePoint Online. To achieve it, follow the below steps.
- Open the SharePoint site page where you want to add an events web part. Then click on the + icon to add a new web part like below.
- Then, choose the Events web part under the list of web parts.
- Once, the events web part is added it will display as no upcoming events. Or else, if there are any events available on that SharePoint site then, you will get previous events as well.
- Now, provide the Title. And click on the publish button. Because, we can add events on a published or saved SharePoint page, but not on an edited page.
- Now, if you want to add an event then, click on the + Add event or Create an event option like below.
- Once click on the create an event it will redirect you to another page. Here, we can provide the below information. Such as:
- Title: We can provide the title based on the event.
- Image: You can change the background image by clicking on the Image icon.
- After clicking the Image icon, it will be asked to insert images from different sources like Recent, Stock images, Web search, OneDrive, etc…
- Here, I have to select Stock images -> choose the default images based on the requirement -> Click on the Insert button.
- Now, we can see the background image in the SharePoint page text area as shown below.
- Next, provide the remaining information such as:
- When: You can provide the date and time of the event when it will be scheduled.
- Where: We can provide the location where the event is going to happen.
- link: If the event is online, then provide the meeting link.
- Category: You can choose the category based on the event, like Business, Meeting, Holiday, etc…
- Normal Text: If you want to provide the details of an event, then, enter the information.
- Event participants: We can also add participants, who need to be present in this event, or else we can add guests or hosts here as well.
- Then, click on the Save button.
- Here, you can see our new event is created. If you want to do any modifications, then, click on the edit icon, or you can also delete the event by using the Delete icon or delete the event. Otherwise we can share the event by using Send to option.
- Then, go to the Events web part where we will get a new event as shown below.
Similarly, if you want to add more events on the SharePoint Online events web part then, follow the above-mentioned steps.
Note:1. Whenever we have create events from the SharePoint Online Events web part, by default we will get an “Events list” under the Site contents page.
This is how to add and use a SharePoint Online Events web part on the SharePoint site.
SharePoint Online Events web part Customization
Let us discuss the SharePoint events web part customization. To do so, follow the below steps.
- Open the SharePoint events web part, and click on the Edit icon like below.
- Then, select the information below under the Events web part pane. Such as:
- Source: By default, it shows This site, you can also select different sources like Event list on this site, All sites, This site collection, and Selected sites.
- Events list: By default, it will select the Events option.
- Category: We can filter by All categories.
- Date Range: Here, we can filter SharePoint events range based on a date.
- Layout: By default, we can get the layout as Flimstrip.
- Similarly, If we choose the Compact layout option then, we will get a different view as shown below.
- Show up to this many items at a time: The number of items must be between 1 and 200.
- Enable Audience Targeting: If you want to use audience targeting then, you must be enabled in the SharePoint Online Events List.
- Show event images: We can enable or disable the show event images toggle as per the needs.
This is all about the SharePoint Online Events web part customization.
Before discussing audience targeting, you should have a brief idea of audience targeting. So, follow this post -> Target content to a specific audience on a SharePoint site.
Enable Audience Targeting from a SharePoint Events Web Part
To use audience targeting in a SharePoint events web part, you should be enabled in the Events list from SharePoint Online. To achieve it, follow the below steps.
- Open the SharePoint Online site -> Go to the Events list -> Select ellipses (…) to show more actions -> Click on the Settings option -> Select the Audience targeting settings like below.
- Then, select Enable audience Targeting option -> Click on the OK button as shown below:
- Once the audience targeting is enabled in the SharePoint Events list, then you will open the SharePoint Events web part. Then, click on the Edit icon and Enable audience targeting toggle under the Events pane.
- Suppose, if you want to fix a target audience for a particular event, then select the event and provide the group name in the Audience targeting box like below.
This is all about how we can enable audience targeting from the SharePoint Online events web part.
Microsoft provides this SharePoint Online events web part to display the upcoming events on your page. Here, from this SharePoint Online tutorial, I have explained all about the SharePoint events web part. Then, we saw how to use a SharePoint events web part. Also, we covered how to enable audience targeting from the SharePoint events web part.
You may also like:
- Recent Documents Web Part in SharePoint Online
- Site Activity Web Part in SharePoint Online
- Document Library Web Part in SharePoint Online
- SharePoint Online Sites Web Part
- Planner Web Part in SharePoint Online
Preeti Sahu is an expert in Power Apps and has more than 6 years of experience working with SharePoint and the Power Platform. As a Power Platform expert for Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power Pages, she is currently employed with TSinfo Technologies. She is the author of the book Microsoft Power Platform A Deep Dive. She also made a big technical contribution to SharePointDotNet.com in the form of articles on the Power Platform. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her family in her spare time.