I will show you how to create a team site in SharePoint Online Office 365 in this SharePoint Online tutorial. We can create group-connected and non-group-connected sites in SharePoint Online Office 365.
A team site in SharePoint Online is a place to store, organize, share, and access information or documents from any device. This also helps increase team collaboration within a team or group within the organization. In a SharePoint team site, we can create lists, document libraries, calendars, task lists, news, events, etc.
Create a team site in SharePoint online
Now, let us see how to create a team site in SharePoint Online from the Office 365 or Microsoft 365 admin center.
- Open the Microsoft 365 admin center with your Microsoft 365 credentials. Then, from the left navigation, expand Admin centers -> SharePoint. This will open the SharePoint admin center. Or, you can also directly open the SharePoint admin center from your tenant URL like https://<tenantname>-admin.SharePoint.com.
- Then, in the SharePoint admin center home page, expand Sites -> Active sites. It will display all Active sites, here. Click on the + Create button like below:
- Then, it will show the “Create a site” dialog box where it will show options to create a Team site, a Communication site, and options to create sites without an Office 365 group. Here, click on the Team site option like below:
- Then, it will open the “Create a team site” where you can add the below information related to creating a SharePoint Online team site.
- Site name: Provide the SharePoint site name,
- Group email address: Based on the site name, the group email address will get auto-populated.
- Site address: Based on the site name, the site address will be auto-generated and show if it is available. You can always edit the address if you want.
- Group owner: Provide the group owner’s name; the same email address will also be the SharePoint site owner.
See the figure below.
- Select a language: Choose the SharePoint site language
If you expand the advanced settings, then you can see a few more important settings related to the SharePoint site.
- Privacy settings: Choose the privacy setting, who can access the SharePoint site.
- Private – Only members can access this site: In this case, only those whom you will give access to can access the site.
- Public – Anyone in the organization can access this site: Choose this option if you want everyone in the organization to access this site.
- Time zone: Choose the time zone.
- Site description: Provide a site description for your team site.
- Storage limit: Provide the storage limit for the SharePoint site. It will default storage limit as 250GB, and Max you can set is 25600 GB.
Then click on Next.
- On the Next screen, it will ask you to add members who can access the SharePoint site; here, you can also choose if anyone you can make as an Owner.
Then click on the Finish button, and the SharePoint Online Office 365 site will get created.
This is how to create a SharePoint Online team site from the SharePoint Online admin center. This will create a group-connected team site.
But if you want to create a SharePoint Online team site without an Office 365 group, then follow the below steps:
From the Create a Team site page, Click on the + Create button, then choose Other options like the below:
- In the Other options, choose Team site like below:
Next, it will ask you the below details:
- Site name
- Site address
- Primary administrator
- Select language
You can enter the SharePoint site details like below:
- Next, if you will expand the Advanced settings, you can fill in the details like Time zone, Site description, and Storage limit.
Then click on the Finish button, and the SharePoint site will get created. This time it will create a team site without an Office 365 group in SharePoint.
This is how to create a SharePoint team site without an Office 365 group.
You can also create a full YouTube video tutorial:
I hope you got an idea of how to create a team site in SharePoint Online. I have explained how to create a group-connected team site in SharePoint Online and how to create a SharePoint Online team site without using an Office 365 group.
You may also like:
- SharePoint Team site vs Communication site
- How to delete a SharePoint Team site
- SharePoint Online vs on premise
- How to Change SharePoint Online Team Site to Microsoft Teams?
Preeti Sahu is an expert in Power Apps and has more than 6 years of experience working with SharePoint and the Power Platform. As a Power Platform expert for Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power Pages, she is currently employed with TSinfo Technologies. She is the author of the book Microsoft Power Platform A Deep Dive. She also made a big technical contribution to SharePointDotNet.com in the form of articles on the Power Platform. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her family in her spare time.