In this Power Apps tutorial, I will explain how to convert textbox to dropdown in Power Apps.
Here, I will show you how to set up an Excel sheet and format it as a table. Then, I will show you how to upload the Excel file to any cloud database [OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, etc…] and how to create the Power Apps Canvas app from Excel directly.
Last, I will show you how to change Text input to a Dropdown list in the Power Apps canvas app.
Convert Textbox to Dropdown in Power Apps
Here, we will see how to add a Power Apps dropdown list from Excel with a simple scenario. And then, I will show you how to convert textbox to dropdown in Power Apps. To work around this, follow the below steps:
1. Setup an Excel Sheet and format it as a table
- I have an Excel Sheet named “IT Companies“. Inside this, I have added two columns with respective records.
|Column Name||Data Type|
- Here, for the Location column values, I have added another sheet to create one dropdown list [Locations]. Then, I said those values in the “Location” column based on the below Data Validation.
Source: = =Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5
- After adding data to the Excel sheet, you should set up the Excel Sheet Format As a Table, and also check the My table has headers option. Also, add a Table Name as “Companies”.
Refer to the below screenshot:
- In the same way, you can also set the “Locations dropdown” as a Table Format and add a Table Name as “Locations” in Sheet2 as well.
- Once the Excel Sheet is ready, please save it to your local device.
2. Upload the Excel file to any cloud database like OneDrive for Business
- Now, open OneDrive for Business -> Click on the + Add new button -> Select Files upload option -> Select respective Excel file [Companies] from your local device -> Click on the Open button.
- Once the Excel file is added, it will appear under the “All” files dropdown, as in the screenshot below.
3. Create a Power Apps Canvas app from Excel [Directly]
- Next, we need to create a Power Apps Canvas app from an Excel Sheet.
- For that, Open Power Apps with your respective Microsoft credentials -> Click on the + Create option -> Create your app from Excel, as in the screenshot below.
- Next, select your OneDrive for Business connection -> Choose an Excel file -> Choose a table -> Click on the Connect button.
Once it connects, it will take a few minutes to create a Canvas app with three different screens. Such as:
- BrowseScreen1: This screen will browse all Excel file records
- DetailsScreen1: We can use this screen to display the selected item records
- EditScreen1: If you want to edit or update any specific item, then use this screen to edit
4. How to change Text input to a Dropdown list in Power Apps
Whenever a user wants to add a new record in Power Apps’ new form, it will not give the dropdown values. Here, we will get only Text input control to add a choice field.
- However, it is the not right way to add value to the location field. Here, we can only choose a value from the Excel dropdown list.
- For that, select the + Add data -> Select a data source as OneDrive for Business -> Choose an Excel file [Companies.xlsx] as shown below.
- Next, Choose the Excel table [Locations] -> Click on the Connect button.
- Once it is connected to the app, you will get a data source under the Data section like below.
- Now, select the Power Apps EditForm1 -> Select Edit fields option -> Choose Location DataCard and change the Control type to Allower Values as in the screenshot below.
- Then, you should change the DataCardValue Items property like below.
Items = Locations
- Locations = Excel Table Name
- Whenever you change the Items property, it will give an Error like “Name isn’t valid. ‘Value’ isn’t recognized“.
- To resolve it, you can change the Location_DataCard Update property to the code below.
Update = DataCardValue5.Selected.Locations
- DataCardValue5 = Dropdown List Name
- Locations = Excel Table Name
5. Save, Publish, Preview, and Run the app
- Once your app is ready, provide the name and click on the Save button. Then, Publish your app by clicking the Publish this version button as shown below.
- Now, we find our app under the Apps section and click on the Play button to run the app.
- Once click on the play button, it will redirect you to the Browse screen. When a user wants to create a new record, just click on the + icon, and it will navigate to the new form.
- Here, provide the new record details and select the Submit icon, as shown below.
- See here; the new record will be added to the Power Apps and the Excel sheet.
This is how to convert textbox to dropdown in Power Apps.
You can check out a video on the same.
From this Power Apps tutorial, we learned all about how to convert textbox to a dropdown in Power Apps, including:
- Setup an Excel Sheet and format it as a table
- Upload the Excel file to any cloud database like OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, etc…
- Create a Power Apps Canvas app from Excel
- How to change Text input to a Dropdown list in Power Apps
- Save, Publish, Preview, and Run the app
You may like:
- Convert Dropdown to Radio Button in Power Apps Form
- Set Power Apps Dropdown Values Based on Variable
- How to Display SharePoint Person Column in Power Apps Dropdown?
Preeti Sahu is an expert in Power Apps and has more than 6 years of experience working with SharePoint and the Power Platform. As a Power Platform expert for Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power Pages, she is currently employed with TSinfo Technologies. She is the author of the book Microsoft Power Platform A Deep Dive. She also made a big technical contribution to SharePointDotNet.com in the form of articles on the Power Platform. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her family in her spare time.