Do you know how to add a search option to the Power BI slicer? Ok, no issues!
This Power BI tutorial will explore the Power BI Slicer Search Option. What is the Purpose of the Search Box in a Power BI Slicer?
Also, we will explore how to add search bar to slicer in Power BI, remove the search bar from a slicer in Power BI, and the advantages of using search bar slicers in Power BI.
Benefits of adding a Search bar in a Power BI Slicer
- In Power BI, the search box in a slicer acts like a helpful filter finder.
- Instead of scrolling through a long list, you can type in the search box to quickly locate and select specific items.
- It makes finding and choosing values in your slicer much easier, especially when dealing with large datasets.
Suppose we have a list of cities in a slicer and want to focus on a particular city (New York). In such cases, the search bar becomes useful.
Here is the SharePoint list and the data type I use for this example. See the screenshot below:
|Date and time
|Single line of text
|Single line of text
How to Add Search Bar to Slicer in Power BI
Now, we will see how to add a search bar to the slicer in Power BI in Simple steps.
1. Open Power BI Desktop and load the data using the Get data option. Then, we can see the data set in the Data Panel.
2. Under the Visualizations panel, click the Slicer visual.
3. Then drag and drop the city into Slicer Field.
Now, we add a Map, which will help when we filter any values in a Slicer visual. The changes will be reflected in the Map.
4. Under the Visualizations panel, click the map visual. Then drag City into the Location field, Product into the Legend field, and Price into the Bubble size field.
5. Now, we add a search bar to the slicer. To do this, select the Slicer -> top of visual, click 3 dot(…) -> Select Search option.
Also, we can add a search box to the slicer by clicking “ctrl+f.”
6. We can see a search bar added to the slicer visual.
This way, you can add a search box to the Power BI Slicer visual.
How to Remove Search Bar in Power BI Slicer
Now we see how to remove the search bar from the slicer in Power BI.
1. I how you follow the above 6 steps to add a search bar to the slicer in Power BI.
2. Then select the Slicer -> click the 3 dots(…) -> click Search.
Also, we can remove a search box from the slicer by clicking “ctrl+f.”
3. Now, you can see the search box removed from the Slicer.
You can remove the search box from Power BI Slicer Visual in these steps.
Advantages of Using Search Bar Slicers in Power BI
- The Power BI Slicer search box helps you quickly find specific items in our data.
- Power BI Slicer search box saves time by selecting the needed options.
- It makes Power BI user-friendly to use.
- The Power BI Slicer search box makes your reports more interactive and dynamic.
- The Power BI Slicer search box provides flexibility in analyzing specific data points.
I hope this tutorial helps you a lot. In this tutorial, we learned the purpose of the Search bar in a Power BI Slicer, how to add a Search bar to a Slicer in Power BI, and how to remove the Search bar from a Slicer in Power BI.
Also, we learned the Advantages of using the Search bar slicers in Power BI with various examples.
Moreover, you may like some more Power BI tutorials:
- Select Multiple Values in Power BI Slicer
- Append Two Tables in Power BI
- Create a Date Table in Power BI
- Create a Power BI Pie Chart + Formatting
Preeti Sahu is an expert in Power Apps and has more than 6 years of experience working with SharePoint and the Power Platform. As a Power Platform expert for Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power Pages, she is currently employed with TSinfo Technologies. She is the author of the book Microsoft Power Platform A Deep Dive. She also made a big technical contribution to SharePointDotNet.com in the form of articles on the Power Platform. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her family in her spare time.