Microsoft provides an option to provide comments for each item in a SharePoint list. I will show you here, how to add comments to a SharePoint list item. And then I will also show you how to delete comments from a list item. Finally, I will show you, how to disable commenting option in a SharePoint list, so that users will not be able to add comments to any item.
The Comment feature is only available in SharePoint Online modern lists. By using this feature, we can collect feedback from others about a particular list item. And users can add or delete comments for each item in the SharePoint Online list.
Add Comments to SharePoint Online List Item
By default, the comments feature is enabled to add comments to the SharePoint list items. Here, you can see, I have a SharePoint list as “Furniture Types” and inside this, I have added items.
Now, I will show you, how to add comments to the SharePoint Online list item. To achieve it, follow the below Steps are:
- Open the SharePoint Online site, and click on the specific item where you want to add comments. Then, select the Comment icon like below:
- Once click on the Comment icon, it will be redirected to the Comments pane. Where we can add comments and use this @mention in comments to tag someone for feedback.
- Here, I have added a comment, and click on Arrow to enter the comment or submit the comment.
- Once you submit the comment, it will appear under the Comments section. Also, you can add multiple comments.
- Similarly, we can collect feedback from users about a particular list item by using the @mention option. Here, mention the user name or email, enter a message, and click on the Arrow icon.
- Then, if you get feedback from the user it will appear under the Comments section like below.
This is how to add comments to a SharePoint Online list item.
Delete Comments from SharePoint List Item
Similarly, we will discuss how to delete Comments from a SharePoint list item. Follow the below steps.
- Open the SharePoint Online list where you want to delete comments, then click on the specific list item and select the ellipses (…). Then, select the Comment option like below:
- Once click on this option, it will redirect to the Comment panel. Then, click or hover on the comment that we want to be deleted, and here we can see a Delete icon.
- Next, click on the Delete icon, and then it will ask for a confirmation message like “Delete Comment?”. Then, click on the Delete button.
This is how to delete comments from the modern SharePoint list item.
Disable Comments in SharePoint Online List
Let us see how to disable the comments feature for a SharePoint list. By default, the comments feature is enabled on the SharePoint Online list. If you disable it, users will not be able to provide comments. If you want to disable comments for the entire list then, follow the below steps:
- Open the SharePoint list, click on the Gear icon or Settings, then select List settings under the SharePoint section.
- Then, select Advanced settings, and Inside the Comments section. Then choose the No option, and click on the Ok button.
- Once, the comment section is disabled, we can’t add any comments to a list item. But we can see all the previous comments as shown below:
This is how to disable comments in the SharePoint Online List item.
Here, from this SharePoint Online tutorial, I have explained all about how to add comments to the SharePoint list item. And, we learned how to delete comments from a SharePoint list item. Finally, I have also explained how to disable commenting option in a SharePoint list, so that users will not be able to add comments to any item.
You may also like:
- Add Person or Group Column in SharePoint List
- Create a Calendar View in SharePoint List
- Add a Link to SharePoint Document Library
- Rename a Document Library in SharePoint
- How to Import Excel into SharePoint online list?
Preeti Sahu is an expert in Power Apps and has more than 6 years of experience working with SharePoint and the Power Platform. As a Power Platform expert for Power BI, Power Apps, Power Automate, Power Virtual Agents, and Power Pages, she is currently employed with TSinfo Technologies. She is the author of the book Microsoft Power Platform A Deep Dive. She also made a big technical contribution to SharePointDotNet.com in the form of articles on the Power Platform. She enjoys traveling and spending time with her family in her spare time.